You’ve probably heard that the beauty industry is growing. In fact, a 2016 report by…
A Guide to Touring a Cosmetology School
If you’re considering enrolling in a cosmetology school, you need to know if that school is the right fit for you. A good way to find out is by visiting the school before making a final decision. Each school has its own unique culture and environment, which will influence your experience there from day one. The tour is your opportunity to see if this environment feels like somewhere you can thrive – both personally and professionally. Culture, dynamics, and curriculum are just some of the factors to look at during your tour. Our guide helps you prepare ahead of time so that you don’t miss any important details during the tour.
What Should You Wear?
For your tour, dress as the professional you plan to be. Your tour is both your opportunity to evaluate the school and for the school to assess you! Business casual is usually fine. This might include a nice pair of slacks/jeans, skirt, dress, button-down shirts, blouses, and a tie if you choose to wear one. In the event a school has a strict dress code, you’ll be informed prior to your tour date and time. If you’ll be taking a virtual live tour online business casual is still acceptable even though you’ll be at your computer or mobile device.
What Should You Bring With You?
When you tour a cosmetology school, you’re getting a flavor of the day-to-day life of a cosmetology student in that environment. Usually, you’ll get the chance to meet the instructors and current students, as well as see the classes and the salon where students are learning and honing their skills. In order to make the most of your tour, you should bring a few things with you.
- A notepad and pen (or a notetaking app on your mobile device) so you can take notes on your visit. You’ll be presented with a lot of information and you’ll want to be sure you can take notes for later
- Your educational goals; what you’re looking to achieve in the beauty industry. Your tour guide will want to understand what your goals are, this helps them to customize the tour to your needs.
- Your list of questions to help you stay organized and focused. You’ll have questions and the tour is an opportunity to have your questions prior to enrolling, so be sure to bring your list of questions with you.
How Long You Should Expect to Be on the Tour?
It’s difficult to say how long your tour should be as schools may vary in size. A good rule of thumb is to plan for about an hour for your tour. This is usually enough time to get a tour of the school, meet the instructors and students, and ask as many questions as you’d like. Bear in mind that your tour may be shorter or longer depending on the school and the structure of the tour offered.
What Questions Should You Ask?
Cosmetology schools can vary in their programs, tuition, and curriculums, so it’s important to ask questions to determine which school is right for you. Here are some questions you should plan to ask at during your visit.
- How long has the school been in business?
- Is the school accredited?
- What are the requirements for admission?
- What is the application process?
- What is the average cost of tuition?
- Are financial aid/scholarship options available?
- What is the curriculum like?
- What is the average time it takes to complete the program?
- What career opportunities are available to graduates
- What is the student-to-faculty ratio?
- What are the job placement rates?
- What is the graduation rate?
- What hours are the classes held?
- What is the culture of the school like?
- Is there anything else you think I should know?
Cosmetology schools are able to provide you with a high-quality education because they specialize in a single field of study. This helps them to really focus on providing you with the skills you need to succeed in this high-demand industry. The purpose of touring before you enroll is to help you find one that is a great fit for you. Follow this checklist so that your tour gives you all the information you need to make the best decision for your future in the beauty industry.